Brighton Main Line Improvement Project
Last weekend, we completed the last of the work for 2018 on the Brighton Main Line Improvement Project. Preparatory work is progressing well ahead of the 9-day line closure in February 2019. Since our last update, the following work has been completed:
We also continued with tunnel structural examinations and the cleaning and proving of the drainage systems
- Balcombe Tunnel Junction – New signal bases were constructed and the site is now substantially prepped for the February work with all track panels delivered and dispersed trackside.
- Balcombe Tunnel to Copyhold Junction – We removed eight rail defects which reduces the threat of Temporary Speed Restrictions or broken rails along this section.
- Haywards Heath to Keymer Junction – 10 track circuits were converted to jointless equipment along with reinforcement of the traction return system. A further two signals on the main line and three on the branch were converted to LEDs.
- Wivelsfield - successfully integrated 610 yards of ballast cleaning
- Clayton Tunnel – 650 yards of track renewal were completed on the Up line
- Clayton to Montpellier – signalling and cabling works took place