Come and learn the art of fermenting! Learn how to make your own kombucha, sauerkraut, kefir & kimchi and take home what you make!
Date: Sunday 15th March
Time: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Venue: Cocks Kitchen, BN11 2EN
Kombucha, Kefir, Sauerkraut, Ginger Beer, Kimchi, Sourdough. What do all these foods have in common? THEY ARE ALL FERMENTED! Fermented foods are incredibly beneficial for gut diversity, immune health and general well-being, they contribute to your 5 a day, contain no artificial preservatives, are not processed and are a natural way to increase the amount of healthy probiotics in your diet. And fermenting is easy so why not learn how to ferment yourself?
I started fermenting to alliviate the symptoms of Crohn's disease and for now I successfully manage my health through diet and lifestyle. I have been fermenting for over 8 years and I started my small fermenting business in Costa Rica called Jungle Goddess in 2014. I started running workshops last year and I provide ongoing support to all my students though a private facebook group.
This is a comprehensive workshop that will cover:
- An introduction to fermenting
- The history of fermenting
- Reasons why we ferment and the benefits of consuming fermented foods and drinks
- The impact of fermented foods on our microbiome
- Different types of fermenting and the science of how it works
- Essential and useful equipment
- The risks you need to be aware of and how to mitigate them
- Step by step processes to make all of the most popular fermented products:
- Jun Kombucha
- Water Kefir
- Ginger beer
- Milk Kefir
- Kefir cheese
- Greek Yogurt
- Try out a wide range of fermented foods in a working lunch
- Make your own vegetable ferment to take home
After the theory you will have the chance to have a go at fermenting yourself! Take home what you make and see the transformation that occurs!
- PDF file of the workshop (60+ page document)
- Your choice of a kombucha SCOBY or water kefir grains to make at home
- Access to the Jungle Goddess Workshop Attendees Facebook group for ongoing support in your fermenting journey
Bring your own fermenting jar and lid or..........
Jars and fermenting weights will be available to purchase on the day.
"Nikkie has the perfect combination of knowledge, experience and passion for the subject. She came very well prepared, giving a comprehensive overview on the benefits, fundamentales and goals of fermentation...then shared her in-depth and practical experience and gave us the opportunity to learn by doing! She is obviously passionate about what she does which makes the workshop even more enjoyable and educational. I highly recommend her workshops!" Christopher Wunderlich
"The fermentation workshop I took yesterday was outstanding! I am a true novice and Nikkie made the class understandable to me but clearly covered everything that those with more experience needed to know as well. She introduced theory but also we had great hands on experiences. And the food we were served for lunch was delicious! " Jana Stotler